Wednesday, November 17, 2010

WICKED WEDNESDAYS

Fear not!

As a writer, what is your biggest fear? Is it that you will hold a launch and no one will come? That said launch will run out of your books? That the food will disappear before the readings start...or that you will totally forget what you want to say? Well, happy to report, none of the above happened at last night's launch of the new books by Barbara Fradkin and Brenda Chapman! It was a great launch...and now, on to more promotional events for the authors.

Perhaps, you worry that your book will become so popular (high profile awards will do that!) and the publisher won't be able to reprint fast enough. That happened to Giller winner Johanna Skibsrud's book, The Sentimentalists. Her small publisher, Gaspereau Press wasn't able to handle the amazing demand but fortunately, the trade paperback rights have now been sold to Douglas & McIntyre. So, that's good news, bad news, good news.

I wonder if the same pattern might follow for Allan Casey, winner of the Governor General's Award for non-fiction, Lakeland: Journeys into the Soul of Canada. It's from a small press, Greystone Books. Or perhaps Dianne Warren, the GG English language fiction winner for her novel, Cool Water might be caught up in this windfall/shortfall scenerio. Even though she has a big time publisher, HarperCollins Canada. I do see it's listed as out of stock on an on-line website. Obviously, HC was taken off guard.

For me, the fear is nothing so substantial. It's the problem of forgetting. Forgetting to do something, so I use a post-it or write it in my agenda. Then I forget to read it. I have a deadline looming, but I'm not likely to forget that. Dec. 1st is the first thing in my brain every morning when I awaken.

Today's annoyance is that I've once again forgotten to upgrade my computer software. So, here I am, cajoling a wonderful reader/mystery supporter into doing a guest blog and when she's able to send it (she's had a busy, busy month or so), I'm unable to open it. And, it's not like this is the first time this has happened. So, here's my substitute blog for the day. I'll use Anne's next Wed. and give it the full day's viewing it deserves.

As for my forgetfulness...I'll try to remember to come up with a better way or remembering.

I'd be interested to hear what is your greatest fear as a writer?


Linda Wiken/Erika Chase

No comments:

Post a Comment