Tuesday, June 7, 2011

TUESDAY BRINGS TROUBLE

There once was a conference...

You'll probably be hearing and reading about this on many blogs, websites, facebook pages, twitter accounts, etc. over the next few days. But let me get my dibs in here, too. Bloody Words was bloody good!

As I slowly wend my way home, I'm enjoying my version of conference afterglow and offer my reasons for authors to give serious thought to attending Bloody Words 2012 in Toronto...or/and other mystery conferences throughout the year.

There's no better way to network! What a great time re-connecting with author friends and making new ones. Schmoozing is such a part of this community, especially since it's such a supportive community, and unless you're able to traverse the country on a whim, or a signing tour, you're not going to get to meet up with such a great gang.

And the readers! Wow! So much fun to talk to people who love to read mysteries!

I have been known to skip panels in favour of sightseeing -- the odd time. But I'm so glad I didn't this conference. There was a lot of intelligent talking going on and I found myself remembering writing tips I'd long ago forgotten or learning new ways to approach stumbling blocks. The questions from the audience were insightful and I came away feeling refreshed, renewed and energized. Thanks for that!

The conference was well organized and ran very smoothly, so hearty congratulations to all those involved in putting it together. Lou Allin and Kay Stewart, as co-chair, led an efficient team. The hospitality was amazing. And they even got the weather to co-operate! Who could ask for more.

Congratulations, also to the team from Crime Writers of Canada who organized the Arthur Ellis Awards Banquet on the night prior to the conference. And, congrats to all the winners, as well as those short-listed. We have a lot to be proud of in our crime writing community.

And then there's Victoria...but you've probably heard enough about this beautiful city from me already. I just hope the Bloody Victoria Gang will do it all again...and soon.

So, back to Ottawa...back to work. I'm so happy to be a part of this all!


Linda Wiken/Erika Chase
A Killer Read coming April, 2012
from Berkley Prime Crime

No comments:

Post a Comment