Friday, August 5, 2011

CRIME ON MY MIND

With a Little Help from my Friends!

Does that tune run through your mind when you read the words? It should be the theme song of every writer.

I'll get by with a little....
I'll overcome my writer's block with a little ....
My rants and fears will be eased with a little....
My sales will skyrocket with a little help from my friends!

The crime writing community of friends is a very congenial one. No backstabbing allowed here! Well-established writers are more than happy to share the wisdom gained over years of publishing. Crime writers revel in each others' success from that first published novel to yet another award. And authors are more than happy to give a nod to, a mention on Facebook, a cover blurb, and tell all their friends about a fellow writer's new book. I wonder if the world of mainstream writing functions the same?

Because as we all know, it's word of mouth that really counts these days. We're very fortunate in Canada to have some terrific reviewers who will take the time to review new authors -- Margaret Canon, Don Graves and Jim Napier come to mind. And there are certainly others.


But it's the Facebook mention between friends that explodes into the universe as it's 'shared'. It's the Twitter mentions that provide the same outreach. It's the book club reading list. And the personal recommendations of friend to friend, reader to reader that make the real difference in whether a book, a series, an author's career will survive.

The crime writing and reading community is terrific. So proud to be a part of it. We all should be proud.

So, what book will you recommend today?




Linda Wiken/Erika Chase
A Killer Read coming in April, 2012
from Berkley Prime Crime

2 comments:

  1. In total agreement with you Linda about the support and warmth of the crime writing community!

    Today, I recommend Peter Robinson's "Aftermath". This novel was published in 2001 but somehow I have fallen behind in the Alan Banks series.

    Already an international crime writing star, Peter needs no plug from me. But even though this book weighed in at 430-odd pages, I was capitivated and ignored much needed errands and chores to get it read. A thoughtful look at the long-ranging effects of criminal violence in society and the wide net it casts in victimizing others.

    Taut, gripping and gritty. Just what I like to read on warm summer nights (before I lock all the windows before heading to bed!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Susan. Wonderful suggestion!

    ReplyDelete