Tuesday, December 6, 2011

TUESDAY BRINGS TROUBLE

Not another cover!


Isn't it funny how things connect sometimes? Like my blog yesterday about the cover conference process. And later in the afternoon what do I receive but an email about the cover conference for book #2 happening next week.

Now, I have to tell you, it's still a thrill to be involved in all this. But what was the plot of book #2? I'm trying to totally immerse myself in the third one. Trying, being the operative word. Oops, should I have admitted that?

So, number two had to do with Christmas, which is timely because it will be published in November, 2012. It's still the Ashton Corners Book Club (or it wouldn't be a series, would it?) and my main characters are still: alive, participating in the book club, or policing the town.

But I have to admit, I haven't given this cover any thought. Why not, I wonder? I knew this would happen at some point. But not at this point.

I'm still in awe of the speed with which the publishing cycle works at Berkley Prime Crime. It's a nine month deadline for each new book. That's because cosy readers really can't wait any longer for the next installment. I know, as a bookseller, I was always hearing customers 'complain' that writers should write faster. After all, there was this massive appetite to feed. But it wasn't only cosy writers they aimed those comments at. It was anyone who dared to write a mystery series.

This is all good, right?

You bet it is! Writers write to be read. Readers read to keep on reading. It's a win-win all around. So, I just have to get my head in gear and multi-task for a few more days (I'm also working on Erika's website). This IS all good.

What about you? Are you in multi-tasking mode? How much of it is self-imposed? Does this make us better writers?



Linda Wiken/Erika Chase
A Killer Read coming April, 2012
from Berkley Prime Crime

No comments:

Post a Comment