Friday, January 13, 2012

CRIME ON MY MIND

Putting together the Plan!


Let's start with two definitions in the writer's arsenal of necessary tools.

Publicity -- the deliberate attempt to manage the public's
perception of a subject.
Promotion -- the communication link between sellers and
buyers for the purpose of influencing, informing or persuading
a potential buyer's purchasing decision.

Publicity in turn is part of the Promotional Plan. The objectives of this Plan are:
a. to present information to consumers as well as others
b. to increase demand
c. to differentiate a product

Got it? Of course, you do. We've long known that the writer is not only a writer but a self-promoting marketer of books, as well. And still it comes as a shock at times, when faced with the actual task of getting out there and getting our books known.

That could be because we originally went for the basic job description of a writer. Had I wanted to be in promotion and sales, I would have gotten the education and pursued the job. But this is so much better, you say? I get to be a person of multiple talents? Think how this will jazz up a resume?

In the past two months I have become a web designer (ok, the basic technical design was there but I designed the content!)and a travel agent (I've already booked hotel rooms for two upcoming conferences and am now looking into flights). On my long 'To Do' list is coming up with a bookmark and lining up some gigs. I already am an old hand at the latter, it's the bookmark part that's still up in the air.

I'm extremely lucky to have a Berkley Prime Crime publicist taking care of much of the US promotion. She sends out the review copies and will line up some on-line blog stops for starters. In Canada, there's a Penguin Canada publicist helping with the onslaught. But there's still so much left in the hands of the writer and only so many hours in the day.

I think my Promotional Plan will focus on one key aspect -- connect with the reader.
The strategy involves reviewers, booksellers, conferences, signings along with the website, business cards, and bookmarks for starters.

What's part of your Plan? Any advice you'd like to share?




Linda Wiken/Erika Chase
A Killer Read coming April, 2012
from Berkley Prime Crime
www.erikachase.com

2 comments:

  1. My first novel, Safe Harbor, will be out in a few months, and I'm wading deeper and deeper into promotion. I'm blogging, Tweeting, and Facebooking. A neat thing I discovered was running a poll on my blog. I did this in November, when my publisher Imajin Books was debating over two possible covers. I put both covers up and let visitors to my site vote on their preference. It was very exciting to see the numbers come in. I'll definitely run polls again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a clever idea, Rosemary. I think anything different is a good way to capture the readers. Good luck with your book!!!

    ReplyDelete