Wednesday, February 1, 2012

WICKED WEDNESDAYS

Let the revisions begin!



The end of January coincided with the end of my third book! It sounds dramatic, I know. But I celebrated just a little bit yesterday as I finished the first draft of that book. The one that seemed like I'd never get to the end.

I don't know what it was about this one. Maybe it's more like, what was it about this past fall and early winter? Life seemed to be intruding.... It seemed like there were more appointments (& there were); that more critical events were happening around me and to others who are important to me; and, yes, that I gave in to the call of the frivolous more often than usual.

Book three was there on paper and had been since the start when the editor had asked to see my first three chapters plus proposals for books two and three. I also sent in a synopsis before starting this one. And because of this, I'm now a true believer in that method. It was the synopsis that bailed me out. When I felt overwhelmed and very guilty for not getting on with it, I would read the synopsis and there it was -- my story with a road map that made it easier to write.

Then I got serious with deadlines. I set my own. I had to finish it by Jan. 31st. I work best to short deadlines. And it worked again this time.

So, the relief and the joy are short-lived. Today it's back to reality and the re-writing begins. But this is the fun part (that is, if you're not pulling out your hair because of some obvious problems with timelines, etc.) The writing process continues. Let the revisions begin!

How does the writing process evolve for you -- short bursts of work; sticking to a daily schedule; long-term planning or by the seat of your pants? Enquiring minds want to know!




Linda Wiken/Erika Chase
A Killer Read coming April, 2012
from Berkley Prime Crime
www.erikachase.com

No comments:

Post a Comment