Monday, June 4, 2012

MAYHEM ON MONDAYS

So, what now?



I'm all pumped up after the Bloody Words weekend in Toronto. It was such a high, schmoozing with old friends, making new ones, getting some great ideas at the panels and basically enjoying the enthusiasm that readers generate. I can't stress enough the importance of these conferences for writers and readers alike. Thanks to the entire Bloody Gang for once again doing such an outstanding job!

But, here I am, at my computer, ready to write with nothing on the go. No looming or even distant deadlines. How can this be and what am I to do?

My 3-book contract with Berkley has been fulfilled, except for the editing stages. Book 2, Read & Buried, has a copyediting stage to go through before its Dec. 3 release date. Book 3, with a working title of A Deadly Plot, went into my editor last Wed. Whether the contract will be extended depends now on how sales of A Killer Read are going and that won't be determined until this fall. Ouch. Talk about being on tenterhooks.

However, being all pumped up as I am, I've decided it's best to start on book 4, just in case. If it's not bought, then it was still a useful writing exercise. I think, after listening the the novella panel, it would also be fun to try my hand at writing a Rapid Reads, also not a guarantee sale, but a challenge to keep my writing fresh by trying a different length and style. There's also that first novel I've been meaning to rewrite...being such a sage at this point ~. And, it's always good to have a short story in the hopper, just in case an opportunity to submit arises.

Hmmm...seems I do have things to do after all.

That's, of course, in conjunction with spring (soon to be summer) cleaning, landscaping challenges, and an awful lot of correspondence to catch up on.

What's your next project? Or are you near finishing something at the moment? I wish you lots of energy and enthusiasm. I've got it at the moment so better get to it!




Linda Wiken/Erika Chase

A KILLER READ
Berkley Prime Crime, now available
READ & BURIED, coming Dec., 2012
www.erikachase.com


No comments:

Post a Comment