Monday, October 15, 2012

MAYHEM ON MONDAYS

Thinking back....



I've been asked to be interviewed for someone's blog. Her name is Cathy and the blog site is www.Kittling:Books and I'm staring at the questions right now. They're quite different from any other blogger's questions I've faced. And, I'm enjoying the process.

This one, though had me scrambling through what's been a very hectic couple of years, searching my memory and enjoying the process. She asks, "How did you celebrate when you first heard you were to be published? What did you do the first time you saw one of your books on a shelf in a bookstore?"

Have a heart attack? Does that qualify as an answer?

What makes this so much fun to think about is the people I shared the news with. First phone call was to Mary Jane Maffini, fellow mystery author, former business partner, and friend extraodinaire. She's the one who got the whole ball rolling in the first place and I wanted her to know just how grateful I was! Then, my sister got the next phone call, because she's a great support and always there for me. Next in line were the inspiring gals of the Ladies' Killing Circle, my critiquing group for so many years. In fact, we're cruising towards a 25th anniversary in the next few years...and that word, 'cruising' maybe be significant.

My excitement meter was hitting maximum and it took a long while to calm down, as I recall.

The first time I saw A Killer Read on the bookshelves was at Perfect Books on Elgin Street in Ottawa. It was my first signing, after basking in the thrill of a book launch handled by Books on Beechwood. I took several pictures of the book on the shelves, of the signing table, of the magnificent large poster in the window. I still takes pictures in bookstores and I guess it will start all over again when the second book comes out in December.

I think that's one of the pay-offs in this writing life. Seeing your book, your title, your name on the cover (or you alter ego's name) on the bookshelves. The other, of course, is getting feedback (especially the positive) from readers.

Can you answer the question? Do you remember that feeling and what you did?





Linda Wiken/Erika Chase

A KILLER READ
Berkley Prime Crime, now available
READ and BURIED, coming Dec., 2012, available for pre-order
www.erikachase.com

No comments:

Post a Comment