Friday, May 30, 2014

SCHMOOZING WITH JANET BOLIN


1. Who has influenced you the most in your writing career? \

JB- My parents. They both loved to read and they read aloud to us. They were also very creative—if they wanted something, they made it. So if I wanted new stories, I made them.

2. What are you working on now?

JB-I’m finishing the fifth manuscript in the Threadville Mystery series. It’s due June 1.

3. In what ways is your main protagonist like you? If at all?

JB-Willow and I share a love of sewing, machine embroidery, and textile arts, but that’s about where the likeness ends. Willow is much better at handcrafts than I am. And she’s more impulsive and also braver about wandering around late at night, investigating. She’s younger, thinner, taller... And she’s not interested in writing books. But if I owned a store full of the newest sewing and embroidery machines, I might not write as much, either.

4. Are you character driven or plot driven?

JB-Character, within the framework of a murder and the resulting investigation. I throw my characters into a situation, and they take it from there.

5. Are you a pantser or a plotter?

JB-I used to be a pantser, but I ended up rewriting and rearranging scenes about a million times, so now, I plot first. I start with a very brief outline, because the fun is in the writing, not in the plotting. By the end of each writing day, I like to know what comes next, so I create a more detailed outline as I go along.

6. What do you hope readers will most take away from your writing?

JB-Entertainment. I want them to laugh, understand Willow’s emotions, and feel like they’re actually in Threadville while they’re reading the books and for awhile after they finish them.

7. Where do you see yourself as a writer in 10 years?

JB-As long as people want to read cozy mysteries, I’ll be happy writing them.

8. What is one thing your readers would be most surprised to know about you?

JB-I once had to be lifted down from a ski lift. Then again, they might not be surprised at all.


9. What do you like to read for pleasure?

JB-Fiction, especially mysteries and suspense.


10. Give us a summary of your latest book in a Tweet

JB-NIGHT OF THE LIVING THREAD - Something stitched this way comes...



Discouraged by the lack of sewing, and yarn shops near her rural home, Janet Bolin invented Threadville, a village of textile arts shops. Three Threadville Mysteries have been published so far—DIRE THREADS, THREADED FOR TROUBLE, and THREAD AND BURIED. The fourth Threadville mystery, NIGHT OF THE LIVING THREAD comes out on June 3, and features, among other things, a wedding, a craft fair, ancient Egyptian curses, an undulating trail of glow-in-the-dark thread, and people dressed up like zombies. And there’s a murder...

In addition to reading, writing, and walking dogs, Janet’s hobbies include sewing, knitting, and machine embroidery, including using software and killer (!) sewing machines to create original embroidery designs
.
http://www.ThreadvilleMysteries.com




No comments:

Post a Comment